‘It’s not over’: What happened to the people who died in the boiling point explosion at the Fukushima nuclear plant?
What happened after the meltdown of the Fukushima Daiichi nuclear plant in March 2011, and the ensuing nuclear meltdown?
How many people died?
How much damage did it cause?
These are the questions the world has been grappling with for years as the world grapples with the consequences of an accident that cost the lives of hundreds of thousands of people.
Now, a report published by the Nuclear Safety Network (NNSA) and the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) suggests that the number of people who perished at the plant is far higher than previously believed.
As the Washington Post notes, the findings suggest that the nuclear disaster could be a “national catastrophe.”
The NNSA report, published on Tuesday, claims that it is possible that the numbers of people killed in the disaster could even be higher than what is known about the accident.
“There is no solid evidence of an increase in deaths from the Fukushima disaster,” the report reads.
“Nevertheless, it is important to keep in mind that the death toll in the accident may have been higher than is commonly believed.”
The report says that the government has no official tally of how many people were killed in Fukushima, but “a small number of survivors have been identified.”
It goes on to say that the Fukushima Nuclear Power Plant was damaged by the radiation from the accident, and that it took “at least 10 years” for the reactor to fully cool down.
A number of factors contributed to the accident that led to a massive meltdown at the crippled Fukushima Dai-ichi plant, including a tsunami, a catastrophic leak of radioactive water, and a meltdown at a waste-processing plant in the town of Chiba.
The nuclear meltdown has since been blamed for the deaths of over 1,500 people, but many people still remain missing.
The NNAS report estimates that as many as 100,000 people may have died in a total of over 3,400 cases.
“It is also possible that some people may never be identified,” the NNAS said.
“The vast majority of survivors remain unidentified and unaccounted for.
The numbers are likely to be significantly higher than the estimates in the NNSA study.”
In the months following the Fukushima accident, the country was on the brink of a nuclear catastrophe.
But by March 2011 things were beginning to change, with the Fukushima plant under the control of the Japanese government.
But in May 2011, Japan announced that it would restart its nuclear power plants.
By the end of the year, the Japanese economy was back on track.
But the Fukushima meltdown and subsequent nuclear meltdown had led to an economic disaster for Japan, and an increase of around $300 billion in damages to the country.
In November, a new government took office and began an effort to tackle the crisis.
“This crisis was the result of the accident and not caused by it,” Prime Minister Shinzo Abe said in his inaugural speech, adding that “the disaster was caused by the negligence of a few people.”
On Wednesday, the government unveiled a set of reforms aimed at solving the disaster.
One of the reforms includes the release of information about the number and identity of people still missing.
It is also expected that some of those people who were still missing will be given a chance to be interviewed by the government, which could help determine how many of them are alive and how many are dead.